The Erasmus Mundus Centre - NOHA Lab
The Institute for International Law of Peace and Armed Conflict (Institut für Friedenssicherungsrecht und Humanitäres Völkerrecht, IFHV) has been established in 1988 as central research unit of the university. The initiative to establish the institute had been undertaken mainly to develop a research and teaching capacity within the university to deal with problems of peace and armed conflict. In 2004 the institute became ERASMUS MUNDUS INSTITUTE. Among others, IFHV offers the NOHA Master's Course (Master in Humanitarian Assistance).
The University library and the IFHV cooperated to create a unique working room for the NOHA students. On 10 January 2005 head of university Prof Gerhard Wagner and Hannelore Kraft, then minister of education and research, opened the new ERASMUS MUNDUS Centre - NOHA Lab at the Ruhr-University Bochum. The NOHA Lab provides master students with a reserved working space, computers, and access to printed and electronic material related to humanitarian assistance.
- UN Deposit/European Documentation Centre, University Library (3rd floor, area 2)
- Monday - Friday 8.00 - 24.00 | Saturday 11.00 - 20.00 | Sunday 11.00 - 18.00
- Any questions?
- Please call 0234-32-26461 / -26945 or send an e-mail to our UN Deposit / EDC staff (Ms Donaj, Ms Nowak, Ms Wüstefeld, Mr Klindworth).
Library Resources for NOHA Students
Library Induction for NOHA Students (26. September 2012) (PDF)
- Online catalogue and library account
- Electronic journals library "EZB"
- Subject-related information sources
The full range of material is available only if you access the database from the library of the IFHV or the Zentrales Rechtswissenschaftliches Seminar (GC 7/41).
- The UN on the internet
- The EU on the internet
- Departmental Libraries of the Ruhr-University
- Other libraries in Bochum
- Internet access via laptop
- Network printer
- Open access to UN/EU documents and books concerning humanitarian action
- In-and-out trays for exchange of mail and messages between NOHA staff and master students
Do's and Dont's in Brief
- Please note that you should wear your NOHA badge in view at all times while in the university library.
- Please leave overcoats/bags/suitcases/backpacks in the lockers. Shopping baskets to carry your belongings to the NOHA Lab are at your disposal at the central service counter.
- All students entitled to use the NOHA Lab will be given their own transponder key. The lab key must not be handed over to other persons.
- All items in the UN Deposit/EDC are for reference use only. No material may be taken out without prior consent of our staff, neither by NOHA students or staff nor by other readers.
- Please switch off your mobile phone.
- Please do not eat, drink, or smoke in the NOHA Lab or anywhere else in the library.
- Please avoid talking loudly. This is necessary so as not to disturb people in the reading room on the 2nd floor and library staff working in the NOHA Lab.
- Do not let in any non-NOHA visitors when there is no library staff present in the lab. Make shure the lab door is always kept close.
New students will have to sign a "Code of Conduct" to show that they are willing to follow these rules.